Saturday, February 17, 2007

Worth the Struggle

The podcast saga continues...

W/O 1.1.07 - I found the bumper music and slide that was to be used for the introduction. The music is quite loud. Why, I wonder, can't I get my voiceover to be just as robust? So far my voice volume is soft and the music is loud. This can not be good. My Help Me! list is growing.

The next hurdle - getting my PowerPoint slides to display in Garage Band. I received a suggestion from a team member that I use Keynote instead of PowerPoint, as Keynote and Garage Band are quite compatible. No problem, I’ll just take my PowerPoint slides and copy them into Keynote. Wrong! Okay, now I have to recreate my slides. Keynote is not a sophisticated presentation program and has just the bare minimum bells and whistles. (lots of muffled mumbling here). Most of my slides have to be recreated.

Whew! That done, I am ready to “slide” my slides into their proper place on the podcast band. Nope…no can do. Help! It seems you have to export them to I Photo, then slide them in. More steps. New problem – some of the slides are too big and the words are cut off. Now what? If only I could preview before exporting to I Photo. So this was the process for about 2 hours - delete the slides on the podcast band, edit the slides on keynote, export them to I Photo and finally slide them into position on the podcast band…oh…this was frustrating. If they still needed tweaking, the process started over again.

Finally, the slides are in place. One of my fabulous team mates suggested that I might want to include an art slide that will display at the end of the podcast. I created a very simple slide in bright green with the name of the Podcast. Ready for playback. I like this feature as I was able to nudge the slides to position them to display at the right moment. Every so often, for a split second I would see that green art slide while the podcast was on playback. I realized that I had to move everything on the podcast track tightly together. Any gap on that track would cause the art slide to appear. That was easy enough to solve.

I am ready to move to the next step - background music. So many choices - so little time to choose. After eliminating the type of music I was not interested in, I asked for help again and got some valuable tips from two team mates. I enjoyed manipulating the volume of my music selection (a jazzy number called Park Bench). The lightbulb went on (okay so I’m a little slow here)…if I can manipulate the volume of the background music, why then can’t I manipulate the volume of my voice. Big smiles. Success!

Creating a podcast was difficult at best. I had a huge learning curve to overcome before I was willing to send them out to be published. I am very satisfied with both podcasts, Theory of Change and Logic Model. In fact, I like them so much, that I am going to use these podcasts as part of my content in the Program Development 201 Blackboard course I am designing. I believe they will be extremely helpful to those who might need an overview/review of these important elements of program planning.

You can find both RSS feeds on the HRD website www.browardschools.com/hrd . Look for them in the Podcast section under PD Providers.

No comments: